Guide: S = Satisfactory / U = Unsatisfactory / N/A = Not Applicable
- __________All welding/cutting approved by appropriate supervisor
- __________Applicable shop area posted as a “Hot Work: Welding and Cutting Area”
- __________Employee welding certification and safety training credentials kept current
- __________Suitable ventilation provided
- __________“No Smoking” signs posted
- __________Openings or cracks in walls, floors or ducts within 35 feet of the work area are properly covered. Coverings should be of non-combustible or fire-resistive material.
- __________No other activities being conducted that could cause or introduce additional hazards into the Hot Work area during operations:
- Components involving any flammable/combustible oils, agents, or liquids
- Flammable/combustible fueling operations or engine fuel system maintenance
- Explosive atmospheres
- __________Combustible materials should be relocated at least 35 feet from the work area. Where 35-foot clearance is impractical, combustibles should be protected with a flame-resistant cover with the cover’s edge tight to the floor. Note: An option is to provide a separate hot work area within the facility using suitable weld screens to prevent the escape of sparks. The area should be of non-combustible construction and free of combustible materials.
- __________Appropriate protective equipment provided for welding operators (for face, head, hands, and body)
- __________Appropriate fully charged and operable fire extinguishers should be in place immediately at the work area. Note: The fire extinguishers should have a minimum rating of 4A:40BC and a maximum travel distance of 30 feet. Conducting welding & cutting operations in automatic sprinkler-protected areas is desirable.
- __________Only heaters listed by Underwriters Laboratory Inc., American Gas Association or other nationally recognized laboratories should be used. Heaters should be kept at least 10 feet from combustible tarpaulins, canvas, or other non-fire-rated coverings.
- __________Gas hoses are UL-listed (rated for 250 PSI), in good condition and routed to protect them from damage from welding operations and personnel traffic
- __________Cylinders and pressure-regulating equipment should be placed at least 6 feet away from heating appliances and located where they will not be damaged. Gas cylinders should be properly secured to prevent them from being knocked over. For all cylinders not in use or connected for use, the metal cap is in place to protect the cylinder’s valve.
Completed by:________________________________________________ Date:____________________________________